Monday, May 7, 2012

Michelle Pfeiffer goes for laughs in big-screen remake of ‘Dark Shadows’


Show business is not for the meek.
When Michelle Pfeiffer heard that Tim Burton was turning “Dark Shadows,” the iconic Gothic television soap opera from the 1960s into a movie, she let him know she wanted in.
Michelle Pfeiffer in ‘Dark...



“I shamelessly called him,” Pfeiffer said. “I’ve only done that once before. I certainly would never do it with someone I knew, because I wouldn’t want to put them in an awkward position. It was very brazen, but it was an odd coincidence.”

It all began during a drive with her husband, producer--writer David E. Kelley (“Harry’s Law”).
“He was talking about how all these old television shows were being made into movies and I said somebody should do ‘Dark Shadows.’ I was obsessed with ‘Dark Shadows’ growing up.
“Two weeks later, I read Tim Burton was doing a movie and a mutual friend kept urging me to call him. I finally did, apologizing the whole time.”
Even though there was no “Dark Shadows” script at that point, just the announcement, Pfeiffer said she “just wanted go on record that if there was anything right for me, I would love to do this with him. He was incredibly gracious.”
She continued: “At least a year went by, and I thought nothing will happen with this — and it did. It just goes to show you, I guess.”
In the all-star cast that includes Helena Bonham Carter, Eva Green and Chloe Grace Moretz, Pfeiffer plays Elizabeth Collins Stoddard of the wealthy Collins clan. Their next-door neighbor and ancestor is one Barnabas Collins (Johnny Depp), a vampire.
With Burton at the helm, this “Shadows” is sure to be as eccentric as “Beetlejuice.”
“It has a lot of comedy,” Pfeiffer said, “but I would say it’s drama. Kind of a family drama.”
This showbiz survivor is adept at both.
“There’s less pressure for me when I do a drama,” she said. “There’s not the burden of ‘Oh my God, was that funny?’ I’m only as funny as the writing.”
“Dark Shadows” opens Friday.

No comments: